Thursday, May 16, 2013

White and Gold Gum Paste Roses

My class project this week required that I make all my decorations ahead of time because we wouldn't really have enough time in class to make them. 
I decided to make a cake that had gum paste roses on top. And never having made them before, I was excited for the challenge. 
I saw a tutorial online for making a gum paste rose with only a circle cutter, so I was prett confident that I could handle it. 

I started by cutting out my gum paste circles. I smoothed the edges with a ball tool and left them in a flower former to help them begin to dry. 


I found that working with them quickly, and not making too many up in advance, was best. Letting them dry too long would make them crack a little when I tried to mold them. 


I bought some simple rose cores from Wilton to make this process a little faster/easer. It REALLY helped! I highly suggest the splurge! 
I started with the small petals, applying them around the core until it looked like a small rose bud center.


I made sure to put the leaves in groups of  3 & 5 as I went around to help it look more like a rose. 


After I had a row of 3 and 5 small petals, I moved on to the medium sized petal. Placing 3, then 5 petals around the rose bud I had already created. Making sure to turn the petals out and shaping them as I went.


Then the largest leaves got put on (also in groups of 3 & 5). And I ended up with something that looked pretty close to a real rose. 


And I kept going until I had 6 roses finished. 


Then I dusted all over the petals with pearl dust and outlined the petals with a gold luster dust to give them dimension and make them look 'antiqued'. 


Excited to see how they look ontop of the cake tomorrow!!! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment