Thursday, May 29, 2014

Silver 25th Anniversary Cake

A dear friend of mine is throwing her 25th wedding anniversary and asked me to make her a small cake with a cupcake tower. Her theme was the roaring 20s, flappers, feathers and jewels. And everything needed to be colored in silver, black, or white. 
I designed a small cake that would be silver with white flowers and white pearls frappe over every part of the cake. 
Once I knew what my cake would look like it was onto cupcake toppers. I found this really great chocolate mold that has '25' written in the middle of a circular medallion. I gathered up all my supplies a and started working. 



I made 200 little white chocolate discs


I used the Wilton Color Mist in Silver to spray the chocolate toppers and make them appear totally silver


The next step was to make the '25' stand out. I used the black Pearl Dust mixed with a little vodka to create a 'paint' which filled in the little number indents very well.
Though it was EXTREMELY time consuming!!! 
(14hrs total for these toppers start to finish!!!) 


ALMOST DONE!!! Lol! 
The next and last step is the bling :) we have to make these look ornate and like a brooch, so I need to use silver dragees. I added a little edible adhesive glue to the center of each little flower (around the edge) and added a small silver dragee. And as you can see the impact is worth the little extra time. 

 
And here is a close up of the finished product


I am completely in love with these! They're super cute and will even taste yummy! 

Now that those are done its time for me to start working on all the bits and pieces that I will need for my cake. 

The first thing to make are the gum paste flowers. I am only using white since she will be having a silver cake. I made a few roses and some small filler flowers for the topper

 
I also made up some gum paste numbers. '25' for this cake and '15' for a cake I was making the same day. The '15' was done in white gumpaste but later painted with the same black pearl dust as the inside of the '25' on the chocolate toppers, and the '25' was finished with some silver disco dust for a huge impact! 


I made a small little 6in round cake. Frosted it with cream cheese frosting, and piped Corneille lace all over. I then sprayed it with Wilton's Food Spray in Silver. It gave it a wonderful antiqued look. Then I placed the gum paste flowers and the feather topper on top. They looked amazing!!! I also draped some fondant pearls around the top to enhance the "roaring 20s" theme. 


I also frosted and topped all of my cupcakes.


They looked wonderful. I love the little toppers! And they're edible...even better! :) 


Once I arrived at the venue I was able to add the glittery '25' topper...and it looked FABULOUS!!!! Absolutely amazing and perfect for the party! 


And once it was stacked on the top of the cupcake stand it looked even better. I added some feather boas to the edges of the cupcake stand to make it look fancier and to help "carry" the feathers down the stand. 


It looked truly wonderful when finished! One of my favorite projects to date <3 <3 <3 


No comments:

Post a Comment