Tuesday, May 6, 2014

High Heel Mini-Cupcakes

I am sure you have seen pictures of this new 'trend' for cupcakes online, they are high heel cupcakes! Yay! What does a girl love more than cupcakes? Shoes!!! 
I was so excited when I had a friend ask for some I could barely contain myself. Oh the possibilities!!! Haha! I was given a color scheme of White, Silver, and Turquoise to work with. Adorable! I couldn't wait to get started! 
I began by looking at pictures online to get inspiration for decoration (none of the tutorials were extremely helpful with construction ideas however, since I am using mini cupcakes and will have to use different materials to make my cupcake heel). I decided that a combination of bows, flowers, and swirls would be best to decorate the cupcakes. 
The swirls would be piped on with buttercream, so no prep needed there. But the other decorations would need to be made out of fondant beforehand. 
I made my own fondant with some mini-marshmallows, water, and powdered sugar. If you've never made your own marshmallow fondant before - simply microwave around a cup marshmallows with a little over a tsp or so of water. When the marshmallows start to swell, remove them from the microwave and add powdered sugar until it forms a dough. Continue to kneed it together until it forms a fondant texture. Use shortening and powdered sugar to help get the correct consistency. 
I made up my white toppers, then covered them with some white pearl dust. I also made up some extra toppers with white fondant that were then sprayed with silver Wilton Food Color Spray. I then made up some turquoise fondant to make bows and flowers.
I added some edible adhesive to the centers of each flower and added white sprinkles or silver dragees to the adhesive. I was really excited with the end result! They look adorable! I cannot wait to put them on the cupcakes! 


Since the colors are white, silver, and turquoise, and they wanted red velvet flavor for the cupcakes I just made them turquoise velvet cupcakes instead. 


With white and blue cream cheese frosting


While I was waiting for my blue velvet cupcakes to cool, I made a test high heel :) I used a oblong butter cracker for the soul of the shoe, added a small amount of frosting to the back and attached a pretzel heel. It worked pretty well for regular chocolate frosting.


After I was sure about the best way to put them together, I started piping blue and white frosting onto each one and then added on the cooridinating toppers. They looked ADORABLE!!!!!! I had to put them in a box to transport them but it worked pretty well (this is box one of two).


When I finally got there only a few of them had broken heals, which were easily repaired. 
I set them up on my cupcake stand and they looked amazing!!! 


They were definitely a fun (but time consuming) project! So happy I got to do them though because they were worth every bit of it!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment