Saturday, July 27, 2013

Mario Piranha Plant Cake Pop

Cake Pops...oh glorious cake pops! 
I have NEVER made them before so I was looking forward to the challenge. I read a bunch of blog/recipes/tips online and kind of figured out what worked for me.
I started with my favorite red velvet cake recipe -- and crumbed it completely. I added just a little frosting (probably 1/4-1/2 c.) until it started to resemble a dough. 
Using a #50 ice cream scoop, I made over two dozen round balls of dough. 


set them in a pan lined with wax paper, and set them in the freezer for a minute while I melted a little chocolate. I covered the ends of the sticks with chocolate and pushed them about 1in into the center of the cake pop. I put them back in the freezer for an hour so they could really set up. (I was too busy to take pictures of this step. Sorry!)


While those were freezing I made the decorations out of fondant. Using a rose leaf cutter, I was able to get the mouth shapes all the same.  


I simply added a rope of fondant around for the lips/teeth.


And to make the dots, I used tip#12 as a cutter. It worked wonderfully. 


I dipped them in red candy melts, and placed the fondant decorations on while it was still wet. 
The cake pop decoration stand from JoAnn's (for like $4) was TOTALLY worth it! Made things so much easier! 



Then I made some green leaves using gum paste, and attached them using the same red candy melts. 


They turned out AMAZING!!!! Better than I ever thought! I LOVE THEM SO MUCH!!! Yay! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment