Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Anchor Cupcake Tower with Small Navy Cake

This week I had a request for some cupcakes, with a small cake to top the cupcake tower. It was for a birthday/navy/going-away party.
I immediately thought of anchors for the cupcake toppers. So I went and picked up a chocolate mold that had anchors the size I needed. I also picked up black, white, and yellow candy melts to make the anchors. As well as some pearl color mist to give them a silver shine/shimmer. 
I painted the yellow candy melts into the chocolate mold (where the rope was showing around the anchor), and then poured melted grey candy melts (made using black and white) over the top. Tap it a few times on the counter to work out the air bubbles, and place it in the freezer to set for a second or two. Then turned out onto wax paper and sprayed with the pearl color mist.
I LOVED how these turned out!!! They looked exactly like real anchors, with that pearl shimmer making them look like metal. They turned out better than I could have wished for! 


After having the toppers finished and set aside, I started planning out the small cake that would be the topper on my cupcake stand. I had a styrofoam dummy cake (that is used to practice decorating, or as a filler in larger cakes to cut costs) that was exactly the right size (a 6in round) so I was able to get on my computer, play with some graphics, print them and size them to fit on the cake perfectly. 


Then I was able to send that image off to my local decorating store, where they printed off the image on an edible sugar sheet. It was a really amazing process. Makes me want to have my own image printer. 


I was able to cut the images out and simply place them onto the icing. 


They really turned out amazingly! I love the crisp look of it. And, as someone who is kind of artistically challenged, it was the EASIEST way to add major impact to your cakes! 


Sadly the day I delivered this cake it was very hot and it was made out of cream cheese frosting....so, yea...it melted a little. Just slightly lopsided, but still very beautiful all put together. 
Overall I am very happy with how this cupcake tower turned out. 
Everyone there really loved it!


And as a little gift from Mom to her new sailor, a 'mom' tattoo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment