Saturday, March 16, 2013

Saturday Practice

I was bored this Saturday so I whipped up a batch of buttercream and practiced a few techniques.
I decided to make my frosting orange today because it seemed fun. And is not a color I use very often so this seemed like a good chance.
I started by working on my basket weave technique. This is hard to master. Plotting out the proper spacing is the most important part to help ensure that you have a nice tight basket weave. I used a small round tip (tip #4 I think) for the white and a small star tip (#16) for the orange to achieve this look. No basket weave tip for me. Lol! I like the hard way. It looks amazing in my opinion and tends to take more time and effort but it really does look great.
I also used the star tip to create the rope border around my basket weave design.


The next technique I was wanting to learn was how to pipe a buttercream bow. I use tip #104 and a rose nail to make these. I didn't get a lot of pics because these were hard! And didn't always turn out very well. I made the two loops of the bow by placing the wide side of the tip on the nail and moving it around until one side is made, turning it and making the other side. Then making the ruffled ends coming down from the center of the bow. I love these bows! I just need to master them and they will be able to be used in so many ways!


After I was done with that, I decided to whip out a few 5-petal flowers. I used tip #104 for the flower petals and tip #16 for the center. I really like these actually...they remind me of creamsicles or something. I think they're cute. Just need to find a use for them.



Not a bad way to spend a Saturday...😊

No comments:

Post a Comment